Coffee Belt and Coffee Regions

Coffee Regions

Coffee beans are a particularly tricky crop to grow and harvest. Their need for such precise weather and soil conditions mean they can only grow at large scale in a few places throughout the world. Within the belt the climate and production differences from region to region can lead to a wide range of final products. This variety is what makes enjoying coffee from throughout the world a never ending adventure and one we’re glad to be a part of at Cafe Altura.

Enema Coffee & The Gerson Institute

Every day over 27,000 tons of coffee are consumed worldwide in all manner of ways. For some it’s a way of socializing with friends, for others it’s a customary part of a meal and for many it’s a core part of their morning routine. Though rectal cleansing has been practiced since the times of the Ancient Egyptians, this specific iteration of the protocol was popularized in the early 1900’s by Dr. Max Gerson.

roast profiling coffee

Roast Profiling Coffee

Roast profiling is a multifaceted and complex process, and in describing how we make use of both the properties of individual green coffees and the roasting process, I hope to give you a deeper understanding of the processes which lead to the delicious coffee in your cup.

The coffee buying process

The Coffee Buying Process

In previous blog posts, I have spent a good amount of time explaining Café Altura’s green coffee scoring system, as well as some of the physical characteristics of a coffee we consider while evaluating it for purchase. Today, I’m going to dig a little bit deeper into these topics and give you a direct window into the way we buy green coffee at Café Altura.

All About Espresso

Despite its versatility and wide-spread popularity, espresso is often associated as being a more pretentious and less accessible form of coffee. For that reason the general public is sadly lacking in knowledge of the drink and there are many common misconceptions. Espresso remains a deliciously versatile drink on its own or as the building block of cappuccinos, macchiatos, lattes, and countless other variants.

acrylamide lawsuit

Acrylamide – Lawsuit + What is it?

A recent press release from the California Office of Environmental Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) has announced their proposed regulation seeking to clarify that cancer warnings are not necessary for coffee products per Proposition 65.

organic instant coffee

How Instant Coffee Is Made

Some studies are finding that instant coffee has a less harmful effect on the environment since its concentrated nature means lighter shipping and less packaging is needed for the same number of cups. But this aside, and this may shock some people, instant coffee can actually taste good, too.

biodynamic agriculture certs

Biodynamics – Stellar / Demeter Certifications

There are multiple certification groups for verifying the methods behind biodynamic products, the most popular of which is Stellar Certification Services. Previously Demeter International, Stellar Certification Services is the oldest ecological certification group in the world, their original name even serving as reference to the Greek goddess of agriculture.

Organic coffee certification history

Certification History of Organic Coffee

Ethical business practices and quality products have defined the third wave coffee movement since the term was first used in the late 1990’s. Whereas the first two waves represented a popularization of the drink and an incremental improvement in its quality, it’s in this current wave that the industry has been set on the path of chasing the greatest possible quality of both coffee cup and source. With this renewed focus on ethical sourcing and production methods has come the increasing use of certifications seeking to validate the provenance of a particular product. But when you see these certifications on the side of a bag, what do they really mean?

brewing coffee and water composition

Brewing + Water Composition

When you gaze into the beautiful brown liquid a coffee mug contains, it’s easy to think that most of what you’re looking at is matter extracted from ground coffee beans in the brewing process; brewed coffee maintains the color, aroma, and delicious flavor of coffee beans after all. Surprisingly, on average, a cup of coffee contains only 1.5% coffee solids. The other 98.5% is Water. Here, we explain why the water you use to brew coffee matters, as well as some suggestions on how to improve your brewing water at home.